12.21.2008

{C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S Sing}

Christmas is getting so close! It's hard to believe! However, if you surround yourself with elementary aged kids you will feel it!!! My students are crazy, hyper & can't wait for the big day!

Each year we have a "sing around" assembly. Every grade gets to sing one or two songs for the school. The first graders always sing "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" & "C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S Jingle Bells." (It's a cute song a former teacher made up to the tune of Jingle Bells! I love it because it teaches them how to spell Christmas. The chorus goes like this: C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S is here. That's how we spell Christmas it's the best time of the year. C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S is here. Oh the fun that we will have with all our friends so dear).
We make these cute Rudolph hats & sing for the school, then for the parents later in the day. They were cute & we had a fun day! They all spoiled me with "Teacher, your the best in the whole world" notes & gifts, etc. I honestly am so lucky to teach where I do!

We also had a very special guest apperance by the big man himself! The kids got to sing for Santa & then ask him questions. They were adorable! My favorite questions for Santa were:
How do you deliver presents all over the world?, What's your favorite color? (this is a first graders greatest inquiry of anyone they meet!), Where do elves come from?, How do you get in the house if it doesn't have a chimney?, & How did you get here today?
I was rather impressed with their Q&A session this year! Our Santa that comes is darling & he had great answers to each of their questions. Then we let the kids line up & get a candy cane from Santa as they left. Most of them gave him a hug, or tried to sneak in one more quesiton...it was precious. I love my job!

2 comments:

Annie said...

Fun! I have good memories of elementary school around Christmastime.

ashley g. said...

That is the coolest idea for Santa. I think when I was little, they used to have Mr. Couches (the janitor) play the part of Santa. It was pretty cool. I wish I could find out how he even fits in a chimney... I've always wanted to do such a thing myself.

Speaking of such things, have you read, "How Santa Got His Job?" It is such a cute read aloud and even though it is too late for this year, you can use it next year if you'd like! Hope that you are feeling better!