9.08.2013

*8-30-13 {A Birth Story}*

During the whole month of August I had been having a lot of contractions, some lasted a few seconds, other lasted minutes, very rarely were they painful.  Like, once or twice were they painful.  During the whole week I was 35 weeks pregnant I was nauseous & was feeling uncomfortable like I was having menstrual cramps.  
On Monday the 26th of August,  I was 36 weeks 2 days pregnant & dilated to a 4 almost 5.  (Did I mention that this was also Jon's first day of school?  Yup.  First day back to second year of Medical School. Jon had a hard time focusing that week knowing that this boy could decide to come any minute!) 
My doctor decided to have me come back Friday (unless I went into labor before then) to start induction.  He figured by Friday I would be to at least a 5 & anyone who goes to the hospital at a 5 stays.  I called my mom & she was able to fly in Thursday night.
Friday, August 30th I was so happy to have my mom here.  {It was nice knowing Reese would be well taken care of with Gma Vicki & I wouldn't have to worry about her at all!} Jon went to school.  I went to see Dr. Bass at 10:00.  I was waiting for him to come in & check me when there was a knock on the door.  It was Jon.  He was having a hard time concentrating at school (duh?) so he snuck out of class very early instead of waiting to hear from me.  
Dr. Bass came in & when he checked me around 10:15 a.m. I was dilated to a 6-7.  "How are you walking around?" his nurse asked me laughing.  Dr. Bass said he would let the hospital know he was sending us over & he would be over in a couple hours to check on me.  
We left his office & went over to the hospital.  When we got there they let us know that there was no room in the inn.  Every room was occupied.  (It was monsoon season.  There had been crazy rain storms the last two nights.  Several nurses told us they swear it sends women into labor.) So, we got sent to the OB triage until a room was available.  I got into my hospital gown & hooked up to the IV& monitors.  Then the nurse brought in "the tray".  She said she doesn't trust any baby & just wanted to be prepared.  I asked if any of the women in the rooms were close to delivering & she said that I was actually the furthest along at the moment.  
At 11:40 I was at a 7.  No pain yet.  So we just sat at waited.  I was having contractions every ten minutes or so (like I had been for weeks) but they weren't painful.  I could feel my stomach flex & tighten but felt no pain.  
Texting family with updates.
By 12:45 a room was open for us so we moved over to a labor/delivery room.  By this point I was at an 8 still no pain but we decided to get my epidural...I knew what was coming!  Had the epidural at 1:15. 
Then Dr. Bass came to brake my water.  FLOOD.  For. Real. It was crazy how much water came out & kept coming.  It covered Dr. Bass's arm not just fore arm... I felt instantly better!  So much pressure, gone.  
By 3:15 we were just watching the monitor & contractions.  I was feeling very relaxed.  Almost too relaxed.  I just wanted to go to sleep.  My blood pressure was dropping each hour.  (Total opposite of the last delivery.) 
At 3:30 I was still an 8, so even after breaking my water my contractions were not getting any stronger.  Dr. Bass decided to try a tiny amount of pitocin to see if that would move things along.  He also had me use this "exercise" like ball between my legs & lay on my side.
By 4:25 it was all working.  I was at a 9 almost 10.  I had my nurse boost my epidural for me. (I was feeling some pain & was worried it would wear off...my epidural didn't take very well last delivery.) My nurse said she would be back with Dr. Bass next time to push.  About half hour later I was feeling soooo sleepy.  Too sleepy.  My blood pressure was WAY low & I could tell that the baby was also very low & was thinking he was definitely ready to come out!  We were just about to call when the nurse & Dr. Bass came in.  He gave my epidural another little release & I was super numb! :) I was glad.  I hadn't felt hardly any pain & I was happy that I was going to deliver without any pain either!  
At 5:10 he checked me & the baby was just about ready to come out on his own!  Dr. Bass got suited up.  
At 5:13 I started to push.  I pushed through two contractions...
At 5:18 Our baby boy was here!

Jensen John Frischknecht 
7 lbs 4oz
20 inches


There was a knot in the cord.




After Jensen was done getting weighed & measured they bundled him up, he was screaming & crying.  They brought him over to me & the second he heard my voice he stopped & was completely calm!  Melted my heart.

Reese & Gma came the next morning to meet Baby Jensen.

Reese just kept saying & giggling, "Ooooh, tute (cute) baby, ooooh!"

 Family of FOUR!




Care Bear for Reese from baby Jensen.  She liked the bear more than the baby. 
Gma & her 7th grandbaby.








HAD to COMPARE...REESE...
... JENSEN
 

Ready to go HOME!
Welcome to the family Jensen.  
We love you sooo much already & can tell you are going to add so much joy & happiness to our family.    

4 comments:

Diana Dye said...

Cute cute cute. What lovely pictures. And what a crazy story. I've never heard a labor story like that. Do you think they just had your due date wrong? Weeks early and he's still bigger than my babies.

And good work. He's adorable.

Frischknecht Fam said...

Such a sweet story. And what a handsome kid!

andrew and brittani said...

Such a cute little boy!!

Nicky and Patrick said...

Very handsome! Glad to see your little family is doing well! Congrats on the new baby!